Monday, May 11, 2009

Rainy Days and Mondays

I have been writing my blogs so fast lately I feel I am leaving so much out so I am going to start writing it earlier this week and try to keep writing a bit each night so I don't have to give you half-posts. First, this week I will return with the TV reviews. I know it has been weeks since I did this but I will definitely start up that little series again. Also, with so many personal revelations as of late this blog has kind of gone off topic and has become less about how Britishness is effecting my daily life so I will get back to that as well. I hope you all have continued to read my blog posts on Anglotopia.net if you needed your Anglophile fix!

My birthday was this week and it was my first here. It was my 26th, so I didn't expect much. I have heard it is the most insignificant birthday of your 20s and having just gone through it I have to agree. My birthday was fairly uneventful but I barely noticed so its not a big deal. I did get some fantastic gifts, our dog Max (which has changed my life), an iPhone (which has also changed my life) and a few other little things from friends and family. 

This is about the time of year when I start waiting for the weather to suddenly warm up. That time of the year when the season of freezing and thawing that passes for Spring in the Midwest finally ends and the days start getting warmer. Here the summer warms much more gradually. We have had a couple days in the 70s and that is probably as good as it gets but it is rarely warm enough that I don't have to wear a jacket or sweatshirt out. I actually love this weather but it does feel strange, like I am waiting for something to happen even though I know it never will.

Truth be told I hate hot weather, anything over 80 degrees is too much for me and it can make Midwestern summers unbearable for me. Still, this is the time of the year I am missing, May and early June are the best time to be in the Midwest when people are so jubilant about the beautiful weather. Its not the weather I miss but the overall attitude of the people being elated just to be outside. I remember taking a camping chair out onto the back deck of my apartment in Chicago, turning on the radio and sitting out there with a glass of wine doing nothing other than enjoying the glorious weather. 

England is internationally known for its "bad weather" but since I have arrived here I have noticed that this isn't exactly an accurate generalization. The peculiar thing is that it seems this idea is perpetuated by the English people themselves. When I tell local people that this winter was like paradise for me they think I am crazy, they can't imagine anything could possibly be worse than a gray English winter where the temperature rarely dips below freezing and the rare sight of snow only stays around long enough for a few fetching photographs. When I tell them I am looking forward to a mild summer they can't imagine anything worse than an English summer without any need for air conditioning. What could be worse than temperatures that rarely get warm enough to make you sweat, that persistent pesky cool and refreshing breeze, and sunny days interrupted by short and frequent light rain showers (usually promptly followed by a brilliant rainbow) that keep the whole country green and growing all summer long. Terrible weather indeed!

The Midwestern United States has, in my opinion, some of the worst weather in the world. Several months straight of sub-zero temperatures, followed by a couple weeks of freezing and thawing, followed by a humid and sweltering summer with temperatures regularly staying in 90s with little respite in the muggy evenings. Still, the people of the Midwest truly make lemonade out of lemons when it comes to the weather. Sweltering hot outside? Lets strip down as much as we possibly can, mix up a cold fruity cocktail and lounge on the beach all day. A blizzard outside? Lets light a fire in the hearth and make some hot cocoa! Some of the most enjoyable experiences of living in the Midwest are really no more than brilliant coping mechanisms to deal with absolutely terrible weather. 

That is one area where Britain could take a feather from the hat of Midwestern Americans. Considering poor weather is far more rare in this part of the world than in the US, I think Britain could benefit from a new rainy-day attitude and start really enjoying those days when its just too gray and depressing to go out. 

This Week's British TV Review:

Britain's Got Talent

The contestants on Britain's Got Talent have been popping up on YouTube and are already gaining fame in the US and this season is really fabulous. There are some fantastic acts, so many that I don't think Susan Boyle is a shoe-in to win the whole thing. There are some amazing dance groups and some kids with beautiful and incredibly mature voices. Its really an amazing season.

My personal favorites to win are "Stavros Flatley" only because nothing has made me laugh that hard in so long, and I like the idea of the Royal Family watching these guys strut across the stage. I think this kid has so much charisma, and its a really funny act. Click on the link below to see the video!


The thing I really like about the British version of this show is the judging panel. Piers Morgan is on the show as well as British entertainer Amanda Holden and of course Simon Cowell. Its kind of nice to see Simon on British TV shows because although there is a bit of his signature harshness, he is definitely more laid back than he is on American Idol. I also like the British judges more because I can't stand "The Hoff" and Sharon Osbourne together. They have kind of all become charicatures of themselves and it makes it difficult to watch. 

I also like that the prize is a spot in the Royal Variety Performance. It adds an interesting twist when you are watching and realize these people think they should perform in front of the Queen. It is absolutely hilarious to imagine some of the acts performing for the Royal family. 


1 comment:

Jonathan Thomas said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

I didn't realize you were so young! I'm only 25 myself.