Thursday, October 15, 2009

I PASSED!!!

Yes, I passed my UK Driving Test on the second try. According to everyone "All of the good drivers pass on the second try". I have had so many people say this to me, and it rolls of their tongue like they have said it a million times before. It is counterintuitive that the good drivers would pass on the second try, if they are good drivers why wouldn't they pass on the first try? I am alone in that assessment though, and it seems the rule is that good drivers pass on their second try so I guess that must mean I am a good driver.

I do a have confession though, and this confession will probably cause my family to disown me. I really really really miss driving the Toyota Yaris I learned to drive in. The ride was smooth and for a tiny car with a diesel engine it had a lot of get-up-and-go. I am now driving Jason's Vauxhall Astra. For those who don't know, Vauxhall is the UK branch of GM, or at least it was at one time. So the Vauxhall Astra is similar to a Chevy Malibu I think.
A Vauxhall Astra, similar to the one I drive

I am grateful to have a nice car to drive, but I have to say its a bit of a let down after driving around the Toyota Yaris for several months. The Yaris zoomed along and got up to speed so smoothly, but driving the Astra it feels like it takes a lot of effort to accelerate and its just clunky to put it in the nicest terms I can think of. I am getting used to it and starting to learn how to get it to perform at its best but it takes a lot more effort than getting the Yaris to perform like I want it to. Alas...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

one of our neighbors has a Yaris, I love it! never test drove one, but I think they are adorable :o)

most teeny cars I like, except for driving in the snow here in Michigan...so luck you don't have to deal with that very much anymore!

congratulations on be a legal driver (again)!

MikeH said...

Congrats, Lisa! And remember, drive on the left.

Adam Simpson said...

Lisa,

Happened upon this blog after reading your piece about the Christmas number one and noting that you and I live in the same place. Being born and raised in Hartlepool, I've found reading your take on the place I call home to be fascinating.

Yes, all good drivers pass the second time. Only I and one other of my close friends remain accident-free, and the pair of us failed first time around. Why? My theory is that accidentally pulling into the path of a dirty great truck with nothing but a tiny Skoda for protection does something to focus the mind.

It makes the examiner scream too, though whether that has any impact on driving skill is up for debate.